Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week one

It's been a few days but: today marks the last day of the first week of the challenge.

The hardest part for me this past week has (obviously) been the lack of cigarettes. I'm pretty sure now that I've quit smoking, everyone else has started to make up for it. Seems everywhere I look someone has a smoke in hand... Seriously, it's almost commercial. Last Thursday I remember driving to ball and looking at the vehicles in the lane beside me, I'm probably sure everyone had a cigarette.

Last night at ball was the most difficult by far though. The other team all seemed to be heavy smokers, when they'd come to coach third base I'd get a whiff on the bench. The smell of it was one of the most intoxicating and beautiful aromas I've had the pleasure of inhaling. Now, for non-smokers that's the most disgusting thing in the world and I do understand that, but for a smoker it's comparative to smelling freshly baked triple chocolate fudge brownies stuffed into fresh-baked waffle cones from a bakery in the heavens... Yeah okay so it's not quite like that but it's close. 

Speaking of which. The food portion of the challenge is actually going quite well. Lindsay and I have had one accidental slip-up which we both acknowledged at the time. This happened yesterday, I had invited her to lunch with me and we went to Lonestar, seeing as it's right beside where I work. Lonestar gives you free tortilla chips and salsa just for walking in the door. After decimating the bowl of them we both kind of stopped and realized that not only are they tortilla chips, they're also deep fried. Strike one for us. Although, I think because it's so early in the challenge and it's so new to both of us, it was a learning experience. The rest of lunch was rather enjoyable.

With that said, I must admit I'm very impressed with Lindsay's willpower and fortitude. Yesterday was one of her teammates' birthdays, so we stopped in for a few minutes after baseball to wish him a happy birthday etc... His wife had purchased a red velvet birthday cake. Now, I've never actually eaten red velvet cake, but everyone knows what velvet feels like. I only imagine that same smooth, silky excellence. In cake form... and... in my mouth...

Lindsay politely declined without reserve. It was awesome. Watching her do that with ease is a pretty good motivator for me and only one of the reasons why I know we'll both share triumphant success over the next ninety-three days.

Week one? Check.
Bring it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment